Thursday 26 April 2007

China Syndrome

Wasn't the China Syndrome a film about a nuclear thingy with Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas many moons ago? No, I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about something else - our 20th wedding anniversary. Now I know the hip young things will have already moved on to some other blog like Shagtastic or Hoola Loola or whatever fancy names these other hip and happening blogs have, but surely there's some room somewhere for me?

Yes - I've been married for 20 years. As I've said to many people, you get less for murder.

So what did we get up to? Well, if you're still reading, we went to the Dulwich Picture Gallery, had lunch, wandered through Dulwich Village and the park, and then went on to do the school run. There. That was it. Oh, in the evening, after Brownies, we had some champagne. Bollinger, which he got from a client last Christmas.


It was actually rather nice. I may even take him to the Summer Exhibition preview - you can wander around with a drink having a good laugh at the exhibits. I went last summer when England were playing their first World Cup game. It was quite an eventful visit. As I approached Piccadilly Circus, I thought it rather strange that no traffic was hurtling towards me. I presumed it was the fact that everyone was at home watching football. But no. As I got to the other side of the road I narrowly missed being run over by some bloke on a bike. With no clothes on. He was followed by lots of other naked men on bikes. It was the nudie cycle protest!
After the first contingent of naked men went past my attention turned to the people on the pavement. Well, you see one dangler you've seen then all..... Everyone had their cameras, phones, camcorders, you name it out recording the event. People were absolutely astonished to see what was going on. One young man nearly fainted at the sight of a very mature woman with no clothes on. Her boobs were neatly perched on the handlebars of her bike. Young man of course could never imagine such a thing could happen and had to hang on to a lamp post for support, much to the amusement of his friends.
The protesters were accompanied by police people on bikes. Never will I forget the young WPC on her bike, fully clothed, bringing up the rear. She looked so mortified, poor soul. Suffice to say the Exhibition was no follow up for this unexpected slice of London life, although I enjoyed watching everyone have a good laugh at the Hare's egg and the light that went on and off

But I digress. What is it like to be married for 20 years? Should I stop being married? What would that be like? How would I ever find someone else? Because that's the secret of a happy marriage - lack of confidence, inertia, and being very short sighted.

Still, doesn't seem to stop other people taking off. Or even doing it again? Triumph of hope over experience, isn't that what they call it?

I could never get married again. It would be like learning how to drive again - just when you know where you're going, some bloody man grabs the wheel.

5 comments:

Mangonel said...

Dunno about the champagne after the brownies. Surely all that sugar would have ruined the nose. Salmon is always a good bet.

Anonymous said...

oh how I laughed when I read that a happy marriage is due to inertia and lack of confidence etc! Too true, too true!

Sylvia said...

No, sorry, I meant Brownies, as in small girls working towards badges, not squidgy chocolate cakes. Alas. But my nose is safe......
We had home made chicken nuggets and chips for dinner.

Anyone else got tips for a happy marriage?

Anonymous said...

A happy marriage - for me the joy of selfishness. Can you imagine giving up all the things that have taken years to achieve - being able to wear the old and stained but loved t-shirt, buying what YOU want at the supermarket and blow what anyone else wants, that weekend morning cup of coffee in bed etc?

Maus said...

I really enjoyed this!